D/2 Biological Solution is a biodegradable, easy to use liquid that removes stains from mold, algae, mildew, lichens and air pollutants. It is effective on marble, granite, limestone, brownstone, travertine, masonry, terra cotta, concrete, stucco, wood, and other architectural surfaces including monuments, sculpture and headstones. A contact time of only 10 to 15 minutes followed by scrubbing with a soft nylon or natural bristle brush will loosen most biological and air pollutant staining.
Professional Cleaning Services in Delhi
Gravestone Cleaning Service
Cleaning gravestones can be a meaningful way to preserve important historical information. Remember, “If you can read it, there’s no need to clean it.” Here are some tips for cleaning gravestones:
- Timing Matters: Avoid cleaning gravestones until after the danger of frost has passed to prevent water from freezing and damaging the stone.
- Handle Fallen Stones with Care: Never attempt to move a fallen gravestone; leave this task to the experts.
- Cleaning Process:
- Spray D/2 on all parts of the stone and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Use a wooden paint stick or plastic scraper to gently remove lichen.
- For lettering and decorations, use the pointed end of a bamboo skewer or chopstick.
- Avoid using wire brushes, household cleaning products, power washing, chalk, flour, shaving cream, Windex, dish soap, or vinegar.
- Cleaning Solutions: You can use plain water or purchase D/2 from atlaspreservation.com. If you have questions, consult a professional conservator.
- Tools: Use a pail for wash water and a plastic, nylon, or natural bristle brush. Apply minimal pressure while scrubbing, and rinse with clean water after cleaning. Work from the top down and keep the stone wet to prevent abrasion.
- Fragility Warning: Old gravestones, especially those made of marble and limestone, are fragile. Avoid using force and never use a gravestone for support when standing from a kneeling position. Do not sit on gravestones.
- Cleaning Frequency: Limit cleaning to no more than once every 10 years. Take photographs and note down the information exactly as it appears on the stone, including any mistakes.
- Permission: Always obtain permission from the family or cemetery before cleaning gravestones that do not belong to your own family.
Cleaning gravestones is a valuable way to honor our history, but it should always be done with care and respect for the past and those who have passed on.
Tips courtesy of Marianne Greenfield, Cemetery Conservationist
Woodland Cemetery is open 365 days a year.
From May 1 to October 31: 7 am - 8 pm
From November 1 to April 30: 7 am - 5 pm
2 Orchard Street
Delhi, NY 13753
Woodland Cemetery Assoc.
P.O. Box 183
Delhi, NY 13753